Manuscripts are currently being solicited for an upcoming special issue of the Journal of Advertising (JA) dedicated to Digital Engagement with Advertising. The topic of digital engagement has received much attention in recent years but digital engagement and advertising has never been treated as a Special Issue topic in leading journals in the field. In this Special Issue, digital engagement is broadly defined as Richard Sedley defined it: "repeated interactions that strengthen the emotional, psychological or physical investment a customer has in a brand” (cited in Chaffey 2007). In this sense, digital engagement extends beyond the concept of advertising involvement and may include cognitive, emotional and/or behavioral aspects in the way that consumers choose to engage with advertising.
We welcome studies that advance the conceptualization and operationalization of digital engagement or digital customer engagement with advertising in a variety of digital environments, platforms, and applications. Potential research topics that may be addressed include (but are not limited to):
- Digital engagement with:
- User-generated advertising
- Consumer-manipulated brand messages
- Behaviorally targeted messages
- Consumer-shared brand messages
- Native advertising
- Advertising located in social media
- Digital engagement and advertising effectiveness
- Digital engagement in relationship to clutter/ad blocking/ad avoidance
- Customer co-creation perspectives on digital engagement and ads
- Context determinants of digital customer engagement
- Visual engagement and online advertising execution
- Digital engagement and the Internet of Things (smart signs, beacons, wearables, IoT data and personalization, proximity marketing, etc.)
- Measurements of digital engagement related to advertising
- Online advertising experience as it relates to digital engagement
- Impact of consumer motivations on digital engagement with advertising
- Antecedents and consequences of digital engagement with advertising
- Explorations of ethical norms regarding digital engagement
Approaches from a variety of perspectives are welcomed, including psychological, ethical, sociological, economic, political, or critical.
The submission deadline is April 30, 2017.
All manuscripts should be submitted through the JA online submission system, ScholarOne, at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ujoa, during April 1-30, 2017. Authors should select “SPECIAL ISSUE: Digital Engagement with Advertising” as “Manuscript Type.” Please also note in the cover letter that the submission is for the Special Issue on Digital Engagement with Advertising.
Special Issue Guest Editors
Shelly Rodgers, University of Missouri, and Esther Thorson, Michigan State University
For additional information regarding the special issue, please contact the guest editors at email@example.com.